Re: [News] Gates Era Coming to an End

> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 03 August 2007 11:22 : \____
>
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Yeah, he's laundering his cut by going "legit", to avoid any more heat
>>> from the Feds, and the impending gang wars that will bring his crime
>>> empire down.
>>>

>> Apparently, though, the pressure on Microsoft is now so great that even
>> Mr Dvorak has having to accept that it's there.  Microsoft will have
>> some difficult times ahead, but probably the worst period will be that
>> which starts from B Gates leaving to the point at which S Ballmer and co
>> are replaced with directors experienced with dealing with the kind of
>> problems Microsoft currently have.
>
> One article (possibly the one from the NYT) said that the leadership
> transitions will not be smooth. Add to this the fact that the company's
> business model is in a state of transition as well. They argue that it might
> take 5-10 years (!!!!) to bear fruit.
>
> I look forward to seeing Google's Linux phone and Red Hat's Global Desktop.

I think that even 10 years could be pushing it.  Look how long it took
IBM to recover from their problems in the late 1970s/early 1980s.
Microsoft have very very deep pockets, but if they're not careful, the
current management will waste all the cash before anyone comes along to
do a proper reset crtl-alt-del on the business models and culture.