Re: Bill Gates Buys Media, Media Attacks Microsoft Rival with FUD

____/ Linonut on Tuesday 28 August 2007 12:36 : \____

> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> ____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 28 August 2007 10:07 : \____
>>
>>> The permafrost in Alaska is, well, no longer perma.  The locals' houses
>>> are sinking into mud.  It's well known, and they fully understand the
>>> cause of it.  There's so much evidence around on this subject its
>>> incredible...
>>
>> Meanwhile, in Florida, some people collect new cars and build swimming
>> pools. It's disgusting to see this.
>
> What bugs me where I live is all the *humongous* SUVs.  I have never
> seen such a large collection of lumbering behemoth vehicles in my life,
> not even when we lived in L.A.
>
>    Hummers
>    Land Cruisers
>    Suburbans
>    Tundras
>
> Lumbering across the landscape, barely able to turn corners, causing
> jam-ups while one waits for the other to clear the intersection, rocking
> as it tiptoes across the railroad crossing, as if each little bump could
> damage its massive Michelins, yet zooming up behind you on the freeway
> as if to sweep you out of its way, pulling up next to you at the stop
> sign, so far that you can no longer safely make a right turn, occupied
> by only one soul, a rolling bedroom for the permanently asleep, a
> somn-ambulance for the spendthrift, cruising into the Cheney station
> every few days with their W stickers to "fill 'er up", carrying no other
> cargo than its fat-assed, fat-headed, fat-fingered driver, conspicuous
> consumption, each vehicle and driver consuming resources that could
> maintain a small village.
>
> Yep, here in America we live in Fat City.  Ef the rest of ya!

Didn't the French ban SUVs because they were 'ugly'? Was it the Dutch maybe?
Either way, cars that are larger than they need to be are a case of waste.
Lavish life (including excessive consumption) is sadly something which is
encouraged by popular media. It's a cultural peer pressure system that is
brought to you by corporations that benefit from it (they thrive in waste,
redundancy, and obsolescence).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Open Source Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
 17:00:01 up 21 days, 19:53,  6 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.72, 0.63