Re: [News] GPL Sustains Freedom, Unlike BSD

____/ Mark Kent on Tuesday 18 December 2007 15:48 : \____

http://www.matusiak.eu/numerodix/blog/index.php/2007/12/15/gpl-vs-bsd-a-matter-of-sustainability/

> This is a debate which we've had here over and over.  The microsoft
> shilcosystem likes to call BSD more "free" because it allows people to
> make it unfree.
>
> To me, that appears to be a significant logical fallacy.

Microsoft loves BSD. It only knows the notion of "take", not "give".

Additionally, when Microsoft starts listening to its end users (not customers,
i.e. OEMs, MPAA, NSA...), then -- and /only/ then -- will it have
some /ethics/ that are needed make it /give/.

Scott M. Fulton, III:

"Microsoft's distorted perception of the computing industry, and of the
world as a whole, is important because of a fact which Judge Jackson
came to realize but, all too soon, commented on: Any conduct remedy
which relies solely upon Microsoft's own ability to scrutinize,
admonish, and improve itself through its own means, will be treated by
Microsoft's executives with disrespect and contempt. It's like a
parent ordering his wayward son to shape up. The executives of
Microsoft are as unwilling to consider such an order as an adolescent
boy, bottled up in his room, is willing to remove his headphones and
listen to his dad for five seconds. They are likely to ignore such an
order altogether. I say this with the utmost respect: They don't give
a damn what you think."

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
Mem:    515500k total,   444540k used,    70960k free,     3256k buffers