Re: [News] Seagate Tries to Make Peace with GNU/Linux After Gross Discrimination

> Seagate releases workaround for Linux users
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Papadopulos denied that Seagate was snubbing Linux users. The Maxtor
> OneTouch
> | 4 Plus and OneTouch 4 Mini ship with a Linux boot CD that works in
> | conjunction with Maxtor Safety Drill as a bare metal restore.
> |
> | The Maxtor OneTouch 4 and OneTouch III do not have any problems with
> spinning
> | the drives up through Linux after sleep mode, he said.
> |
> | It is just the Free Agent range as we reported. What a palaver.
> `----

I don't understand this. Why don't these drives just spin-up again after the
OS tries to access them again? This seems the most sensible solution to me.
I have a Maxtor drive myself and under Windows it simply spins up when I
access it after it has gone to sleep. I haven't tried it under Linux yet but
I will try it out just to see what happens.