Re: [News] [Rival] The MSBBC is Advertising Windows Vista, at No Cost

On Tue, 25 Dec 2007 02:25:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Kier on Monday 24 December 2007 15:37 : \____
>
>> On Mon, 24 Dec 2007 12:39:04 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ Kier on Monday 24 December 2007 09:44 : \____

>>> There are (at least) two things to consider here. Let's just use two
>>> examples:
>>>
>>> 1. BBC as an agent for a monopoly - the BBC promotes the use of Windows with
>>> iPlayer (and possibly with Silverlight to come).
>>
>> No, it's not an 'agent'. And the Linux version of the iPlayer is just
>> about ready now
>
> *sigh* No, it's not. That's just an alternative viewer. The BBC said something

It's a start. It's not ideal, but they're working on it.

> about the download service /MAYBE/ becoming available for Mac and /MAYBE/ for
> Linux as well next year. They have still burned a lot of money on a shoddy
> proprietary stack they do not own or control. They /still/ treat Mac and Linux
> like second-class citizen and with proprietary software it's unlikely to reach
> others who use OpenSolaris and BSD for example.
>
> The BBC screwed up _VERY BADLY_. Its executives returned a little favour to
> their friends and/or old employer (or made a favour expecting something in
> return). That's how things are run. It's corrupt. It needs to be pointed out.

Do you have certain knowledge of this? Because if you haven't, you really
ought not to say such things.

> Where was planning which weighed open alternative (tender/bid)? Was it done
> transparently (if done at all)? Why was Adobe Flash not considered in the
> first place, but only after public backlash in response to a fiasco?

I don't know? Do you?

>>> 2. The BBC is influenced by a collaboration that involves inter-personal
>>> relationship. As employee of one company liaise with those of another, it's
>>> expected that there will be bias and selective awareness. The BBC rarely
>>
>> What is this supposed to mean, Roy? *Everyone* has biases, including you
>> and I.
>
> The press has biased. It has sponsors. The BBC is tax-funded. It must combat
> biases.

Whic it generally endevours to do

>>> coveres GNU/Linux, _despite_ the fact that it dominates supercomputers,
>>> devices and it is also the fastest-growing platform in servers, mainframes,
>>
>> Most average viewers aren't that interested in mainframes, though, are
>> they? They want to hear about the software they're likely to be using. And
>> whether we like that or not, it's more likely to be Vista than Linux.
>
> What does the BBC tell about Vista? What do people do about Vista? The BBC
> advertises it. People throw it out the window. The BBC must inform. It needs

Is everyone *really* rejecting Vista, though? Is the average man is the
street doing so? And again, the BBC isn't advertising it, it's talking
about it. If Linux weas the majority OS, they'd be talking about that.

> to tell people why Vista is better off avoided at this stage.
>
>>> and even desktops (if three independent surveys from this year are anything
>>> to judge by).
>>
>> I'd like to see more Linux coverage on the Beeb, it's true. It does get
>> mentioned from time to time, usually favourably. As time passes, it should
>> be more coverage, as it's beginning to really enter the mainstream now.
>
> I agree, Kier. Merry Christmas. Please don't perceive this 'vendetta' as
> something that's directed at yourself. These discussions hopefully help
> resolve the issues that exist.

Well, that's certainly what disscussion groups are meant for ;-)

--
Kier