Re: If you hate Microsoft you'll really hate this:

____/ Linonut on Saturday 22 December 2007 14:41 : \____

> * Sinister Midget fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On 2007-12-21, nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> claimed:
>>><Quote>
>>> Patent app calls for "enforcing" ad playback within downloaded
>>> multimedia files
>>><Quote>
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/?p=2916
>>
>> Well, Erik will support this. He says you have a moral obligation to
>> view ads on web pages. So this is just an extension. Throwing the baby
>> out with the bathwater and all that.
>
> Microsoft Bathwater leaves rings around the tub.
>
> I hope the Mute button will still work.  Listening to companded audio is
> grating.

IBM patent could pause your DVD movie for "a word from our sponsors"

,----[ Quote ]
| Imagine this scenario. You've just received the latest Hollywood blockbuster
| in the mail from the DVD rental service of your choice. You've popped the
| popcorn, poured a tall glass of your favorite beverage, and settled back to
| watch the film on your flatscreen TV. 15 minutes or so into the movie—right
| as the action is building to a crescendo—the movie fades to a commercial. For
| the next minute, you're forced to watch the commercial as the fast-forward
| button has suddenly stopped working.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071125-ibm-patent-could-pause-your-dvd-movie-for-a-word-from-our-sponsors.html
http://tinyurl.com/ytfk8s

By the way, this Microsoft patent was mentioned a long time ago and appeared in
Slashdot too, IIRC.

Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has patented the idea of inserting fresh advertisements
| into old recordings on personal video recorders, to ensure you see
| today's ads even if you're watching a recording from last week.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7946&Itemid=1063

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Windows XP: Dude, where's my RAM?