Re: [News] Memory Consumption Benchmarks Demonstrate Linux Advantage

> What about the performance and memory usage of KDE and GNOME?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | In this particular test, KDE and some typical KDE applications were
> | found to consume 143.2 MB of RAM. GNOME and comparable GNOME
> | applications consumed 174.8 MB. XFCE and some third-party
> | applications comparable to the ones used for GNOME and KDE
> | consumed 206.8 MB of RAM.
> `----
>
> http://pinderkent.blogsavy.com/archives/35
>
> Rex reported that his /empty/ Vista desktop consumed 700MB of RAM.

For one thing, I simply don't believe the numbers, especially from an
XFce desktop.  Even though X on this fluxbox box is claimed to consume
about 512 Mb of resident and virtual memory combined.

For another thing, a Linux system takes something out of memory and onto
the hard drive only when absolutely necessary.  Linus and his crew work
pretty hard to ensure that memory is used, in lieu of slow disk access,
to the maximum extent possible.

--
   "No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that any
 significant number of users want fixed." -- Bill Gates, FOCUS interview