Re: [News] Review of "The Firefox of Media Players" for Linux (Songbird)

  • Subject: Re: [News] Review of "The Firefox of Media Players" for Linux (Songbird)
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:27:22 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mark Kent
<mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:23:51 +0000
<731q84-el7.ln1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> begin  oe_protect.scr
> Nedd Ludd <NeddLudd@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>: Songbird: Next generation media player?
>>:
>>: ,----[ Quote ]
>>: | Songbird is a desktop media player, a digital jukebox and Web
>>: | browser mash-up. Like Winamp, it supports extensions; like
>>: | Firefox, it is built from Mozilla, cross-platform and open source.
>>: `----
>>:
>>: http://www.youtux.org/content/view/467/2/
>>
>> Does it allow you to watch movies on DVD's legally on Linux?
>>

> As far as I know, watching DVDs is perfectly legal on Linux here -
> perhaps you live in a more restrictive country that I do?

http://ming.tv/flemming2.php/__show_article/_a000010-001611.htm
http://www.zeropaid.com/news/5996/French+To+Tighten+Digital+Restrictions+

http://www.fipr.org/copyright/guide/

http://www.fipr.org/copyright/guide/france.htm

suggests that things are a little muddled in France, as
apparently there are two versions of the law, one which
allows imperfect private copies, and one which either
doesn't allow any copies at all or allows perfect (digital)
private copies.

This could get interesting ... and not in a good way.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  Because life's too short for a buggy OS.