Re: [News] Vista Service Pack Delayed? More Copying of UNIX-like Features

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista Service Pack Delayed? More Copying of UNIX-like Features
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:58:02 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> FIJI- VISTA Service Pack to be delayed
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Will pushing back Vista's release-to-manufacturing date by a few
> | weeks or months play havoc with these already tentative schedules?
> `----
>
> http://vistapimp.com/2007/03/10/fiji-vista-service-pack-to-be-delayed/
>
> What's next the windows after Vista?

What's next for Windows? Hmmm; I have an idea:

First replace Aqua's, ahem, I mean Aero's Ãber-bloat with a Windows port
of Compiz or Beryl.

Then replace Explorer with a Windows port of Gnome or KDE running on
X11, nicely themed with that lovely "tinted glass" thingie for Compiz.

Next, replace all those nasty, buggy DLLs and EXEs with elf binaries and
glibc libs.

Then replace the unwieldy and monolithic Registry with a nice sane /etc
directory, ahem, I mean folder, and forget about that joke called
InstallShield and start using proper package management like RPM or APT.

Don't forget to purge the utterly useless UAC and MS firewall, and
replace with SELinux, ahem, I mean SEWindows, and a Win32/64 build of
iptables/FireStarter, and maybe Tripwire, for some proper security.

The applications bit should be easy, since many of them are cross
platform anyway (e.g. Firefox, OpenOffice.org, etc.).

Lastly, don't forget to deploy the Desktop wallpaper of some fluffy
clouds.

There, all fixed.

I name this patch WinLix...
Hotfix number KB911911: Windows Critical(ly) (Required) Update.

TODO: Depreciate krnl386.exe, replace with bzImage.

Oh, wait ...

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 14:55:43 up 19 days,  2:21,  2 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.74, 0.81