Re: [News] Has Microsoft Given Up on Windows? No Patches At All for 0-Day Vulnerabilities!

> __/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 04:51 \__
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Jerry McBride belched out this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>> Or they may simply ask themselves, "How many boxes does 'patch Tuesday'
>> sell?"
>
> It's no joke. They have begun charging for patches....
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | For users running that software, Microsoft charges $4,000 per product
> | for DST fixes.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,129550-c,industrynews/article.html
>
> I refer you back to the quote in the OP. That's why vendor dependecies are
> nasty. You let yourself be abused.

I saw some time-related patches going by when I did a world-update on my
Debian box.

But now I'm having to restart the ntp daemon manually (well, for now it
is in my .xsession file) after I log in.

I'm not sure what is up with that!

Anyway, from the article you reference:

   The $4,000 fee is a dramatic price cut from the $40,000-per-product
   charge that Microsoft set in 2006. "We believe we had to do the right
   thing for our customers, so we did something on the fee," explained
   Sweatt. "There is a cost involved in producing this, but we're not
   making money on [the $4,000]. It recovers just a part of the cost of
   development and providing support."

 Didn't Bill "bit-rot" Gates once claim that nobody ever bought a
 product for bug fixes?

 And people wonder why some despise Microsoft, the company.

--
   "Take her in for regrooving." -- The Firesign Theatre