Re: [News] Photographer Fears Vista, Tries Linux Instead

__/ [ Mike ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 12:26 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Linux, a photographer's dilemma. . .
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> Obviously, alot has changed since Mandrake version 8. Some time ago,
>>> I tried a live CD for Ubuntu version 5.10 - and was very impressed.
>>> As we speek, I'm downloading Ubuntu 6.10.
>>>
>>> Once again, I'm flirting with the opensource idea because upgrading
>>> to Window's VISTA simply isn't going to happen for me.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.pixelessence.net/linux.html
>
> I'm a photographer and use Windows. Using GIMP instead of Photoshop is one
> of the worst ideas anyone could possibly have.

It is possible to run Photoshop under Linux and it has gotten fairly trivial
to achieve (I have watched it being simplified over the past few months;
same with IE for Linux). Bear in mind also that Adobe will introduce a
Web-based version of Photoshop (ad-assisted), but they claims that it won't
be suitable for those who use Photoshop heavily.

There are other programs for editing photos under Linux. Inkspace and Xara
Xtreme LX are open source, but they handle vector graphics. Google's Picasa
(proprietary, Wine base) offers some nice functions for editing photos as
well.

Finally, as for the GIMP, I use it heavily. I used Paintshop and Photoshop as
a teenager (quite a lot actually), but everything can be achieved just as
easily using the GIMP. I also consider the GIMP's UI a step forward,
productivy-wise, yet steroetypes (the name does not help unfortunately)
hinder adoption. It takes practice. Familiarity helps you understand the
benefits (and all the hidden functionaliy) of this beast. It was created by
graphics enthusiasts to suit their own needs rather than stick to the
conventional UI, which most people trust religiously. The same goes for tabs
and virtual desktops. The best thing about the GIMP UI is the way it
facilitates editing of multiple images simultaneously, including clones,
breaking down of separate images, grabbing of objects from one image to
another...

You have to use the GIMP for weeks (if not months) before you get 'hooked'.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.