Re: OpenOffice

__/ [ William Poaster ] on Saturday 10 March 2007 10:39 \__

> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:31:07 -0600, Linonut wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> Office 2007 may be Microsoft's Titanic: former Government IT boss
>>>
>>> http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/7234/53/
>>
>>    Sites like Singapore Defence have gone with Open Office. The big issue
>>    was thought to be training costs. However, it has proven not to be a
>>    big deal in the case of the Singapore site," Dr Hodgkinson says.
>
> I read (somewhere) where someone said, that the time & cost taken to learn
> M$Office 2007, would be *no* different than if they changed over to
> OpenOffice, *&* they wouldn't be subject to the whims of M$.

The augmented barrier in upgrades -- whether it's hardware modification
('surgery') and lack of drivers in Vista, or even UI changes in MOS07 --
make Linux and OOo ever more appealing.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "My signature is never intended to be offensive"