Re: [News] UK Government Study: Linux Servers Last Twice as Long as Windows Servers

  • Subject: Re: [News] UK Government Study: Linux Servers Last Twice as Long as Windows Servers
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 14:21:43 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
> Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about
> | Open Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers
> | running Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because
> | they last up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
> `----
>
>http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
> http://tinyurl.com/38cge3
>
> Let's not forget about the new and fascinating talks about Open
> Source in the UK. We seem to be heading somewhere...

There seems to be a very proactive drive towards less proprietary
solutions in the UK. First the government offices, then extended civil
services, then schools. Once schoolchildren are educated in a *nix
environment (exposure) then the next generation will have more of a
disposition towards it, and "Open" ideals. Gradually proprietary (home
Desktop) software will become irrelevant, and even non-bespoke
(shrink-wrapped) proprietary software for enterprise too.

Of course there will always be a market for bespoke solutions, but
more and more of those solutions will likely be Open Standard, Open
Source, delivered by 2nd tier solutions providers, with specific
implementations, rather than top-down proprietary solutions. It's more
or less like that already, in the main.

--
K.
http://slated.org - Slated, Rated & Blogged

.----
| "Future archaeologists will be able to identify a 'Vista Upgrade
| Layer' when they go through our landfill sites" - Sian Berry, the
| Green Party.
`----

Fedora Core release 5 (Bordeaux) on sky, running kernel 2.6.19-1.2288.fc5
 14:19:54 up 18 days,  1:45,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.06