Re: Trying to install Ubuntu and its not working?

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Monday 05 March 2007 15:15 \__

> chrisv <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>>It is likely that your monitor/graphics card were not
>>>properly tested for compatibility with Ubuntu Linux, which is something we
>>>must sometimes cope with until the OEMs deliver PCs with Linux
>>>preinatalled.
>>
>> Right.  I've seen this on some "unsupported" motherboards/video
>> chipsets.  The "live" CD just wouldn't boot all the way.
>>

> I had this much more with earlier knoppix disks, it's not something I've
> seen much of recently.  I suppose that supporting everything without
> manufacturer data will always be something of a challenge.

OEMs increasingly reject component which don't sport that added value that's
Linux support. No Linux support? Then it's defective by design. With free
drivers development for Linux, I think more manufacturers will collaborate.
They don't want to be the odd ones, so they'll just ride the wave.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God created UNIX"
Swap:  1036184k total,   550608k used,   485576k free,    40472k cached