Re: Tried Beryl Today

__/ [ Kelsey Bjarnason ] on Sunday 25 March 2007 18:12 \__

> [snips]
>
> On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:29:19 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> And you still complain about GIMP UI, which enables the user to have
>> multiple windows (images), in mutiple screens, in multiple virtual
>> desktops...?
>
> Yes, because the GIMP UI is irredeemably broken.  The fact someone can
> suffer through it long enough to come to enjoy the masochism inherent in
> the use of the tool is besides the point. [1]
>
>> That's just why I find the UI very powerful. You can also toggle "always
>> on top" with a single click, you can shade, projct window to all vitual
>> desktops, issue a command to a group of windows...
>
> What you can't seem to do is get it to cope with the simplest of concepts,
> such as keeping the thrice-damned toolbars and the like *on top* so you
> can *use the barking things*.  Which makes the UI too crippled to use
> unless one is seriously into copious doses of pain.
>
> If I'm using an image editing app, the editing tools are *always* where I
> can see 'em and get at 'em... or it's not an editing app, it's an image
> *viewing* app.  Editing is an active process; tools which hide at a
> moment's notice are not helpful, they are an active, intentional,
> pointless hindrance - and the GIMP UI gits have never figured this out.
>
> The GIMP UI is designed about on a par with a dance hall floor full of
> holes; while the bits without the holes may be wonderful to dance on,
> having to worry about breaking your leg tends to distract from the
> enjoyment of the process; it would be more effective to go dance in the
> parking lot; it may not have the fancy new hardwood floor, but it also
> doesn't actively hamper one's activities.
>
> [1] Sarcasm, perhaps, but not as much as you'd think.

"Always on top" is a single click away in KDE. Just use your windows
decorations rather than curse the program, as though you assume your native
DE is Windows XP. Features like "middle click to toggle" or "move all
windows to desktop X" are extremely valuable as they save an enormous amount
of clicks (=time).

What we ought to do is educate and train the children at school to use the
/proper/ desktop environment properly. If they want to use a Teletubby
Desktop Environment when they come home after school, that's fine (Vista is
a step back compared to XP by the way). They might, however, complain to mom
and dad that the PC at school is so much better. "That's where the
professional Linux tools are available," they'll exclaim.

--
                ~~ Best wishes

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison,
Stalin. Thanks for tuning in.