Re: [News] Documents Revealed Which Show WIntel's Sabotage of $100 Laptop Project

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Tuesday 22 May 2007 07:49 \__

>> __/ [ [H]omer ] on Monday 21 May 2007 23:50 \__

>>> They've even dropped the price of the "Classmate PC" to £200, which must
>>> surely be selling at a deliberate loss, just to ensure the OLPC project
>>> fails. Last time I heard, the Classmate was priced at $400, now all of a
>>> sudden it's half price, with the OLPC deadline only days away.
>>>
>>> Evil bastards.
>>
>> $3 Windows. Titans use their pockets to eliminate any possible
>> competition, which cannot bear losses. It's the equivalent of suppressive
>> totalitarian regimes that jail or assassinate opposition. That's
>> predatory. AMD lost some employees recently. Mandriva sacks a few as well.
>> Will governments regulate in some form? That's unlikely. When a company
>> becomes wealthy, the government gets tied to it as well.
>
> "Dumping" is illegal in the EU - that being the practice of selling
> goods at a price well below cost in order to drive competitors out of
> business.  I wonder if this should be taken up with the WTO by some body
> or other - it's quite likely that this is illegal under international
> trading rules.

"Dumping" is a term Nick has already used, according to C|Net. I wonder if
he'll take action. Some may be tempted to urge him to, but in a humanitarian
context such as this, dark clouds could soon loom over. If Intel has any
heart (I doubt it), there will be an apology and a retreat. Microsoft is
part of this as well (the timing of the $3 Windows and then the
disinfomation in the media about Windows-powered OLPC, which was FALSE). I
am so utterly disguested and I must admit that this ruined my morning. Is
this the industry we're living in? Who can one complain to? Neelie?
Certainly not George the Emporer...

--
                ~~ Best regards

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Somebody, give this politician a wedgie"