Re: [News] [Rival] Crysis Alleged "Fraud" -- Marketing for Microsoft?

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 30 October 2007 15:38 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 30 Oct 2007 12:58:53 +0000
> <1676340.oqpM1N1SsQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 30 October 2007 12:07 : \____
>>
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that BearItAll spake thusly:

>>> This isn't about updates, it's about Microsoft
>>> /lying/, then using that lie to promote sales.
>>> The issue is one of unethical behaviour ... again.
>>>
>> I had a different point in mind when reading Bear's post.
>> With Ubuntu (or any GNU/Linux) you can trivially
>> update/upgrade/control every component. There are
>> never forced upgrade. You can even manually upgrade
>> all pertinent packages including the kernel (if you
>> are brave... or a veteran).
>>

> That's slightly debatable, mostly because upgrading a
> component underneath might force an upgrade of downstream
> components, as the downstream components no longer can
> reference the old version.  This is an issue on Gentoo,
> but is not all that important unless one is dealing with
> payware.
>
> The good thing about Linux: there are a *lot* of packages,
> each one to some extent individually upgradable (with the
> above caveat).
>
> In any event, DX10 on Vista only is presumably going to
> annoy a lot of people.

You're right. I thought about that and another issue is integration, which is
pretty much the main (or /only/, in some cases) thing that distribution
makers/builders do.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Spam enchanted evening..."
 22:20:06 up  2:31,  2 users,  load average: 4.35, 1.91, 1.13