Re: [News] [Rival] How Bad is Windows Vista? Read This.

____/ Mark Kent on Monday 29 October 2007 10:07 : \____

> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
>> Verily I say unto thee, that p5000011 spake thusly:
>>
>>> They are implementing it wrongly. From the rfc:
>>>
>>>      DISCUSSION:
>>>
>>>      This addition to the protocol is a workaround for old host
>>>      implementations.  Such implementations SHOULD be modified so
>>>      that they may receive unicast BOOTREPLY messages, thus making
>>>      use of this workaround unnecessary.  In general, the use of
>>>      this mechanism is discouraged.
>>>
>>> If vista defaults to setting the broadcast bit then they have not
>>> understood the purpose of the flag. Any fallback should be to set the
>>> broadcast bit when no IP address is received when configured for
>>> unicast replies. Microsoft's philosophy seems to be, lets flood
>>> subnets with broadcasts whenever possible (not just boot[ps]).
>>
>> Yes, they've configured the discovery method backwards. Unicast should
>> be the default, and multicast should be the fallback. Microsoft seem to
>> have a fetish for flooding networks, don't they? Ref: 1500 packets just
>> to delete a file over SMB2:
>>
>> http://twit.cachefly.net/FLOSS-014.mp3
>>

> Going back to the original issue, though - I'm more inclined to believe
> incompetence as the cause of the problem with Vista on this occasion.  I
> can't see that Microsoft would get any benefit from having Vista only
> work with some routers.

You've probably seen the refs (appended again below), by why wouldn't they
pressure out Linux routers? They were accused of playing the interop trick in
the server room before. I read the EC ruling in the airport, so I know this
for a fact.
___
Entire city of Vista users can't access the internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Lundis Energi blamed Microsoft because Vista has got a bug and it isn't going
| to change the configuration of the server just to cope with the flaw.

FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

,----[ Quote ]
| 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
| Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
| SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
`----

http://www.twit.tv/floww14

Longhorn server and Ubuntu do they still play together?

,----[ Quote ]
| There real question however is can linux boxes still join and
| authenticate against Active Directory domains running at Native
| Longhorn Server levels. Well the answer a non surprising NO!
`----

http://odin749.blogspot.com/2007/05/longhorn-server-and-ubuntu-active.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Free software is what's left and what's also right
Mem:    515500k total,   444404k used,    71096k free,     3304k buffers