Re: [News] [Rival] How Bad is Windows Vista? Read This.

Verily I say unto thee, that p5000011 spake thusly:

> They are implementing it wrongly. From the rfc:
>
>      DISCUSSION:
>
>      This addition to the protocol is a workaround for old host
>      implementations.  Such implementations SHOULD be modified so
>      that they may receive unicast BOOTREPLY messages, thus making
>      use of this workaround unnecessary.  In general, the use of
>      this mechanism is discouraged.
>
> If vista defaults to setting the broadcast bit then they have not
> understood the purpose of the flag. Any fallback should be to set the
> broadcast bit when no IP address is received when configured for
> unicast replies. Microsoft's philosophy seems to be, lets flood
> subnets with broadcasts whenever possible (not just boot[ps]).

Yes, they've configured the discovery method backwards. Unicast should
be the default, and multicast should be the fallback. Microsoft seem to
have a fetish for flooding networks, don't they? Ref: 1500 packets just
to delete a file over SMB2:

http://twit.cachefly.net/FLOSS-014.mp3

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 16:19:57 up 80 days, 16:14,  3 users,  load average: 1.13, 1.17, 1.35