Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft CEO Ignorant, Unable to Understand Free Software

Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
>> It's quite amusing to see an argument along the lines of "I've put all
>> this work into Windows XP and don't want to let go" and then precisely
>> the same argument used *against* something "I have to learn how to use
>> Linux".
>>
>> I often wonder why people are unable to see the inherent conflict in
>> such a position.
>
> Well, apparently many people are using the same argument against Vista
> ;->

If there were some gain to it, then perhaps there'd be a point.  Let's
say, for example, that you could move to a system where you'll no longer
need an anti-virus programme, where there won't be millions of
spyware/trojans/viruses out there waiting to "get" you, where you can
surf /without/ having to worry about the sites you're going to, where
you can have all the kinds of applications you need to use /without/
having to take a dodgy copy from your mates at the office, or down the
pub, or at the local computer club,  where bugfixes are actual fixes,
where you can request changes and they really appear, or where you can
make the changes yourself if  you're prepared to merely learn /how/ to
do it.

*or*

You could relearn, and yet be left with the same old insecure,
unreliable, slow, tired... same as you have now.

Well, there's no real reason to learn anything new if there's no gain,
is there?

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |