Re: Confession of a Microsoft Shilling Advocate

> Some people disagree because SUSE is not Novell (SLED can be forked).

The people who use and contribute to SUSE take the flak for Novell's
association with Microsoft, and so some of them quite naturally strike
back at any criticisms, misguidedly believing that they are the target.

>From my perspective, they're not, other than my one criticism that they
should also boycott Novell, since their support ultimately helps
Microsoft too, but then they'd have to give up their involvement with
something they are heavily invested in (in terms of time; effort; money
and familiarity), so I can certainly understand their reluctance.

In one way they are probably doing the right thing by staying, since one
could think of it as stubbornly refusing to allow Microsoft to destroy
their distro - traditionally one of the best available - as they fight
to restore it to it's former autonomous status (or more likely, wait
patiently for Microsoft to simply withdraw).

OTOH, there are undoubtedly those who actually prefer SUSE *because* of
Microsoft's involvement with Novell (I've met quite of few of those
creatures on BoycottNovell and elsewhere). I don't think I even need to
elucidate exactly what I think of such people, other than to say they've
sunk as low as Miguel de Icaza.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 07:49:41 up 52 days, 15:32,  4 users,  load average: 1.47, 1.42, 1.38