Re: Bruce Perens Slams Microsoft for Attempts to Hijack OLPC

____/ Linonut on Wednesday 16 January 2008 01:12 : \____

> * Mark Kent peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> Nah, there are plenty of people who like Microsoft products.
>>
>> You obviously move in different circles.  I know a lot of people who put
>> up with them, but none who truly like them.
>
> One of the project leaders on another project was a /big/ MS buff.  He
> had all of the 20" laptops used by his knowledge workers loaded with
> Vista Home Premium.  He wore MS schwag (security card necklaces),
> attended MS training sessions.  He could go for a long time about the
> glories of .NET, including trying to convince you it was "almost" open
> source, since reverse-engineering features were built into it.  When I
> asked him about all the businesses Microsoft squelched, he responded
> "But look how many they have created or supported."
>
> He's probably the only real fan I've personally experienced, but a lot
> of people seem to like their stuff, even if they gripe about the
> problems.

Some people like Microsoft only because they like money and Microsoft hands it
over to them (literally).

I received this by E-mail a month ago:

http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0%402-651865,36-991097%4051-991184,0.html

As you see, it's in French but it is short and sweet.  It refers to an
article published in the Swiss newspaper Le Temps on Monday (available for a
payment of 2.50 Swiss francs.)  But I find the Le Monde article
sufficient and can offer a translation:

     1,445: number of students in the world paid by Microsoft to
     promote favourable speech in their universities

     "How Microsoft has infiltrated the Swiss universities" was the
     title of the Monday Le Temps.  The Genevean newspaper pointed to
     these students charged with "forging links with their peers and
     the professors" to improve the image of Bill Gates' firm in the
     universities.  The program "Microsoft Student Partners" is not at
     all clandestine, it has an official Website at
     "http://student-partners.com";.  It is no longer at all local: the
     1,445 students at the service of Microsoft are active in 102
     countries.  In France, more than 100 students carry the title MSP
     and correspond with the Microsoft teams during their whole time in
     school.  These French students have actively participated in the
     launch of the Vista operating system, organising 87 conferences
     and stands, leading 17 training sessions and moderating 42 blogs.

,----[ Quote ]
| INQhack survives Vistability test in Volesville
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | The Vole (Microsoft) supposedly invited The INQ over for tea because
| | we are notorious "Microsoft doubters" - and we were accompanied by
| | other supposed Vole doubters such as the folk from lifehacker and
| | a very nice man from Slashdot, as well as some Microsoft MvPs.
| `----
|
| http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36312
|

| Microsoft desperately wants my love -- and yours
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | I spent December seventh, eighth, and ninth in Seattle as Microsoft's
| | guest. Microsoft flew me there from Florida at its expense, put me up
| | in a nice hotel, provided decent food, and comped me and four other
| | invitees to this "special conference" with presentations about the
| | marvels of Vista and other recent or upcoming Microsoft products. They
| | didn't quite play the old Beatles song "Love Me Do" in the background,
| | but it was the event's unstated theme.
| `----
|
| http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/12/12/085222
|

| Bribing Bloggers
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | This is the most frustrating thing about the practice of giving
| | bloggers free stuff: it pisses in the well, reducing the credibility
| | of all blogs. I'm upset that people trust me less because of the
| | behavior of other bloggers. Don't even get me started about PayPerPost.
| |
| | [...]
| |
| | Do not, under any circumstances, consider upgrading an XP system to
| | Vista... even if it's fairly new and even if it's Vista Supremo
| | Premium Ultra-Capable.
| `----
|
| http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2006/12/28.html
|

| Microsoft's Laptop Giveaway Becoming PR Disaster?
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | This thing is starting to feel like a PR disaster. Bloggers are
| | starting to smell blood and this thing very well may begin to
| | turn into yet another episode of bloggers gone wild.
| `----
|
| http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/061228/23174_id.html?.v=1
|

| Bribing Bloggers
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | It's a bribe. Period. You say nice things about us, you get nice
| | things from us. Heck, just say neutral things about us-we'll give
| | you a killer new laptop and we know that you'll be inclined to say
| | better things about us.
| `----
|
| http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2077596,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616
|

| Getting a Vaio [with Vista, from Microsoft, even in March 2007]
|
| ,----[ Quote ]
| | Microsoft Belgium rang me yesterday (I don?t think they realised it
| | was a public holiday here!).
| |
| | [...]
| |
| | The phone call yesterday was to confirm my address - the laptop (a
| | Sony Vaio - dunno which model or spec yet) is en route with Vista
| | Ultimate and Office Ultimate pre-installed.
| `----
|
| http://www.tomrafteryit.net/getting-a-vaio/

Judging the success of GNU/Linux only by Desktop usage is like judging a prime
minister based on a pissing contest.
Swap:  1510068k total,   371204k used,  1138864k free,    62132k cached