Re: Challenges of new UbuntuPC

> ____/ John Locke on Monday 21 January 2008 23:53 : \____

>> Next time go to Synaptic and download VLC. That takes care of most of the
>> audio and video codecs PLUs has a fairly good media player.
>
> XMMS comes with MP3 support too (unless that has changed). And you know
> how 'difficult' it is to get XMMS in Ubuntu... takes a few seconds of mousing
> (or clicking if you can type in 'sudo apt-get install xmms').
>
> Mark puts it well in the OP, but the PC needn't even come with Linux
> preinstalled. I've installed Linux on two boxes in the past 6 months
> and /everything/ worked out of the box. Installation took just minutes and it
> was so trivial that it makes you feel stupid. It's almost insulting.

That was my feeling about the whole experience.  Expertise required to
plug together pre-installed machine with arbitrary hardware and network
= zero.

Time and effort = zero.

Unfortunately, the GUI dual-screen app in Ubuntu doesn't seem to
understand xrandr and the Intel card, so doing it by hand was necessary.
Obviously, for a single monitor setup, it wouldn't even come up as an
issue.