Re: Challenges of new UbuntuPC

____/ John Locke on Monday 21 January 2008 23:53 : \____

> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:42:00 -0600, thad05 wrote:
>
>> chrisv© <chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ubuntu out of the box can't even play MP3 files and it recommends all
>>> kinds of shitty applications like Amarok, open office a.s.o., don't you
>>> think so bro?
>
> Next time go to Synaptic and download VLC. That takes care of most of the
> audio and video codecs PLUs has a fairly good media player.

XMMS comes with MP3 support too (unless that has changed). And you know
how 'difficult' it is to get XMMS in Ubuntu... takes a few seconds of mousing
(or clicking if you can type in 'sudo apt-get install xmms').

Mark puts it well in the OP, but the PC needn't even come with Linux
preinstalled. I've installed Linux on two boxes in the past 6 months
and /everything/ worked out of the box. Installation took just minutes and it
was so trivial that it makes you feel stupid. It's almost insulting.

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
                                                 ~Linus Torvalds
 02:05:01 up 3 days, 11:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.75, 0.84, 1.16