Re: [News] Recession a Blow to Microsoft, Blessing to GNU/Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tim Smith
<reply_in_group@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:32:58 -0700
<reply_in_group-3048D8.16325816072008@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Not to mention that 1M+ new desktops in a 500M desktop market
>> is 0.2% per year...a value that would probably be noticed if
>
> He said 1 million per week, not per year.  In a 500M annual desktop
> market, that's 10.4%.

I doubt that's the desktop market; more likely that's the
gadget market.  However, I also have no idea how the gadget
market could be much more than about 20B units per year;
that would require each and every Earthbound person to
buy about 3 computer-based gadgets per year.

Then again, microprocessors are all over the place, and
many of them could use Linux as a basis.

New phone?  Microprocessor.

Microwave?  Microprocessor.

Mobile?  Duh.

Desktop?  Obviously.

Laptop?  Yup.

Refrigerator?  Some models.  (Even those with water dispensers
might have a simple processor, to handle the buttonpresses.)

Washer/Dryer?  Maybe, nowadays.

Hair Dryer?  Probably not, but who knows?

Clock radio?  Probably.

Clock?  Probably not unless it's a fancy digital gadget model;
the one coming to mind sweeps a wand populated with blinking LEDs
to generate a rather fanciful display, but many of the cheaper
clocks are just mechanical devices with the mainspring replaced
with some sort of quartz crystal-driven kicker.

Watches?  Not sure; the more sophisticated ones will
definitely have a microprocessor, but the cheap ones
probably use a dedicated chip set.  My watch is too
dumb for Linux, most likely. ;-) (It's a Casio Lithium.
Dumb little thing but it ticks off the seconds nicely in
its LCD.)

TV set?  Nowadays, yep.

Digital video recorder? Yep.

Decoder box?  Probably.

Hmmm....maybe I should revise my estimate upward; I could see 200B
units per year at this rate, at least if everyone buys a new phone,
microwave, mobile, desktop computer, laptop, ... and I've not even
gotten to the audiophile or automotive subsegments yet.

My brain hurts.

But back to desktops...if we are indeed selling 50M+
Linux desktops per year, who is selling them?
Color me curious.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.