Re: [News] Recession a Blow to Microsoft, Blessing to GNU/Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, bbgruff
<bbgruff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 01:11:47 +0100
<6e7h1rF5otj9U1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>> I see you anticipate me, and you're mostly correct; the 2.24% is
>> a maximum value, not a definitive one, though.
>
> OK - but it's a lot higher than 0.8%:-)
>
>> Mea culpa for being sloppy.
>
> Well, now you've proved to yourself that you can do it when you concentrate,
> so how about a little exercise?
>
> That same site, much-beloved of our Windows friends, shows that over the past
> 12 months (just select the time period):-
>
> Mac:-
> Was 5.99%, became 7.94%

+1.95% raw percentage.  Assuming 1000M->1250M, one gets
39.35M additional units.

> Windows:-
> Was 93.28%, became 90.89%
203.325M additional units.

> Again, those are the total number in use, of course.
>
> Exercise:-
> Using our "agreed" methodology and "typical numbers", repeat the exercise for
> Market Share (of the 250M) in each case.
>
> The answers are quite surprising:-)
> (Guessing - 15 or 16% Mac, 81 0r 82% Windows?)

I'm seeing 15.74% Mac, 81.33% Windows, assuming no repurposing.

> G'night Ghost:-)

Cute. ;-)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
  - allegedly said by Bill Gates, 1981, but somebody had to make this up!