Re: [News] [Rival] Convicted Monopolist Approaches Free (Libre) Software Project for Lock-in

____/ Homer on Friday 16 May 2008 02:42 : \____

>> Microsoft emails Blender
>
> Why would the world's biggest software company ask for "information on
> how to make [software] run better on Windows", when the source for that
> software is publicly available and Freely licensed? What "information"
> do they expect to get that isn't already in the source and docs?
>
> Has the Vole run out of software engineers ... or money ... or both?

To an extent both. They can still hire some people, but the ladder of employers
(Fortune/Forbed, IIRC) showed Microsoft falling very sharply in terms of
employee attraction. The many seniors who jumped ship in the past year are
living evidence.

Regarding money, Apple and Microsoft has a similar bank balance. Just to put it
in perspective.

Microsoft's biggest problem is a long-term one, which is why it's willing to
enter a debt of about $30 billion and hope to earn that back one day.

__
Does Microsoft Need Yahoo Before Its Windows Shatter?

,----[ Quote ]
| And what happens if Windows becomes moot? Microsoft loses the foundation of
| its success–your desktop. If we agree that Google is building its empire
| around your web browser, it’s fair to say that Microsoft has built its empire
| around your operating system. If Microsoft Windows takes a huge hit, the
| company loses that solid foundation. But, if Microsoft can acquire Yahoo, it
| will find itself with a back-up platform–your web browser.
`----

http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2008/04/does-microsoft-need-yahoo-before-its-windows-shatter.html

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp said on Monday it may borrow money for the first time in its
| history to fund a portion of its $44.6 billion unsolicited offer for Yahoo
| Inc.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205

Microsoft sees slide in profits

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Beware the Windows box spewage (more commonly known as "spam")
 15:00:01 up 31 days, 13:12,  4 users,  load average: 0.41, 0.66, 0.98