[News] Linux 2009.0 Already in Second RC, Another Stable Kernel Out

Linux 2.6.28-rc2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not been a week yet, but we had a few annoying brown-paper-bugs in
| -rc1 that made it hard for many people to test without applying patches.
| So rather than wait out the week, I'll just make an -rc2 early, with the
| fixes for the problems that kept people from testing it.
|
| And hey, maybe we can even _continue_ the nice model of "just small fixes
| after -rc1". I know, it sounds insane, but it's a real pleasure to do an
| -rc2 with just a handful of fixes for real problems that real people see.
| What a concept!
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/304748/

Stable kernel 2.6.27.4

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2.6.27.4 stable kernel update has been released. This one contains a fair
| number of important fixes, one of which has a CVE number attached to it.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/304724/

Recent:

Linux 2.6.28-rc1 Kernel Released

,----[ Quote ]
| With two weeks having passed since the Linux 2.6.27 kernel release, Linus
| Torvalds has closed the merge window for the next kernel (Linux 2.6.28) and
| he has pushed out the first release candidate in this next series.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjgxMQ

A pile of stable kernel updates

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2.6.25.19, 2.6.26.7, and 2.6.27.3 stable kernel updates are out; each
| contains about a dozen important fixes. It seems that 2.6.25 and 2.6.26 will
| probably only get one more stable update after this, so users of mainline
| kernels are being encouraged to move forward to 2.6.27.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/304476/

Linux Foundation: the kernel is worth $1.4 billion

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081023-linux-foundation-the-kernel-is-worth-1-4-billion.html