Re: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Already on Millions of PCs

LusoTec wrote:

> Peter Köhlmann wrote:
>> LusoTec wrote:
>> < snip >
>>>
>>> I did not know Macs had such a high user share in the homes. I wounder
>>> why did it not take has well in Europe.
>>
>> It is no surprise at all.
>> A laptop from apple costs about 2 to 2 1/2 times as much as a similar
>> equipped non-apple-laptop
>> The apple desktop-systems are simply overpriced junk
>> In general: European customers simple are not stupid enough as apple
>> needs them to be
>> They know very well that the prices in the states are not nearly as
>> idiotic as they are in europe
>
> Apple's pricing strategy is not competitive but why did not Apple made a
> stronger effort to compete in Europe?

I don't know, and frankly, it does not interest me.
Apple computers are overpriced junk, and OSX is garbage compared to linux

> If Apple can have a profit in the
> USA with lower prices why can they achieve the same in Europe?

They could, and I guess they will try to.
They have made some inroads in germany the last two years, but still their
marketshare is tiny here. With prices they still ask, it will remain that
way. Additionally, few people actually think of the bundled software
(mainly the i-stuff) in other terms as "pure garbage". It is a half hearted
attempt to bundle some stuff people might see as "valuable", but few here
actually do.

> Looking at the iPhone campaign we can see that Apple knows how to sell so
> why not do the same for the Mac PCs?

The iPhone is not nearly as successful here as it was in the US.

>> Add to that the bad reputation apple earned (rightfully) for treating
>> their customers as shitty as they did in several cases,
>>
>> and their microscopic marketshare in europe is no surprise at all
>> Linux has a *much* higher market share in europe than apple has
>
> I only have a significant experience in Portugal regarding market share.
> Here Macs are rare but I don't have values to give.
>
> Regards.

Well, our apps are used by a wide variety of customers. Of those, exactly
*one* actually uses Macs, but not exclusivly.
Several use linux, though. They ask for native linux-versions. The
Mac-customer does not. He can use the windows-version and it is OK for him.
There will probably never be a Mac-version of our apps, simply because
there is no demand at all. But even if there were 10 customers using Macs
(in germany alone, that is), it would not warrant doing a Mac-port.

Although I have started porting the apps (using QT), there still will be no
Mac-version. QT is available for Mac too, but I still will not bother. The
initial costs to port it to Mac would not be made back in several years
--
Who the fuck is General Failure, and why is he reading my harddisk?