Re: Linux can use 8GB RAM, what's the problem with Vista ?

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 14:38:08 +1100, TomTom wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> ____/ TomTom on Sunday 26 October 2008 00:47 : \____

>>> What does Linux actually do with that 8GB of ram?
>>
>> Intensive database/video/rendering stuff, and not just on servers.
>
> Which is of no great interest or concern to the great majority of
> computer users.

Doesn't matter whether it is of concern to many or even most.  Most folks
can happily get by with a pocket calculator which does the basic four
functions and maybe one or two extras - percentage, square root, that
sort of thing.  If, say, one person in 500 needs statistical functions,
then the calculator designer faces a choice: make something less powerful
and lose those customers, or make something more powerful and appeal to
those customers as well.

Linux has shown that providing access to as much memory as you can
physically get into the box is simply not an insurmountable obstacle, and
whether Joe Sixpack ever uses that feature is irrelevant - it is there
for those who need it, those who don't, well, it's there anyhow should
they change their minds.

I don't know offhand what memory limits Windows has; it may well be the
same as Linux, but the argument that it's "of no great concern to the
great majority of computer users" is specious; unless there is a
compelling reason *not* to offer it, why not put it in and let the user
decide how much memory they want to use?