Re: Apple's prospects in the recession

Moshe Goldfarb. had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 19-10-08 18:21:

Linux has been free for 17+ years.
It's desktop market share is pathetic.

People just don't like Linux for some reason.

This has been said many times now on this news group. Too many times; I am starting to doubt it.

It is certainly in the interest of the consumer/end-user that a sizable part of the world starts using Linux on the desktop, perhaps even that Windows as we know it disappears altogether. But something being in the interest of consumers, be it all one billion of them, will count for nothing if other -- more important -- parties are against it. They will do their part in discouraging change or keep keep an unbiased discussion out of the public site as much as possible. I believe I can name a few:

Microsoft, that lives by regular "upgrades", some even with less features than the older versions (like MS Works that has its mail merge messed up since version 5, and has lost its customizable toolbars, etc.)

Intel, that lives by designing ever bigger processors that must be sold too. Luckily MS designs its software so that these become necessary from the moment that older versions of software are no longer available.

Other hardware manufacturers and vendors that profit in the wake of this caucus race.

Only when this "big boys" change their policies, will a choice become possible.

Antivirus- and antispyware firms that will lose their raison d'etre with the disappearance of Windows.

All those people that earn their living by programming for the Windows environment.

All those people that earn their living by purging/restoring/repairing/reinstalling Windows for all those who are unable to do these jobs themselves and are out of their depth when anything besides clicking on icons is in order.

And on the other side there is this:

The legendary instability of Windows, its BSOD everywhere and on any occasion, has made people afraid, afraid sometimes even to handle their computer, and certainly to change it (or have it changed for them) to another OS. This would necessitate the learning of new habits. This is daunting for anyone who can barely accomplish the tasks that he or she wants to do on a computer. This is what I am inclined to call the high cost of exit.

Not much of a free choice, I believe

I do not doubt that many computer savvy people hier in COLA can point to other factors as important.

Greetings,

Erik Jan.