Re: Why Google Chrome is Good New for GNU/Linux (Out Soon)

nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Sep 3, 7:43 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Google Chrome: First run around the track
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I do think that Chrome, once it moves to Linux, has the potential to be a
>> | big help for desktop Linux. If Google is successful with its Chrome
>> | scheme, then a side-effect will be to dwindle Windows' market share.
>> |
>> | [...]
>> |
>> | "Wow!" is these sites exploding, instead of crawling, on my display. A
>> | quick run of the SunSpider JavaScript benchmark revealed that it wasn't
>> | just my perception. The test showed that IE 7 had a result of 59,682.1
>> | milliseconds;
>> Firefox 3.01 came in with 11,267.1 milliseconds; and Chrome ripped off a
>> | remarkable 3,617.8 milliseconds.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.computerworld.com/google_chrome_first_run_around_the_track
>
> As always, SJVN is interesting.  People really don't like slow
> browsing experiences.  If Chrome is that much faster, it will catch
> on.
>
> I've heard people complain about Google apps, that they're slow.  This
> could obviously have a big impact on the friendliness of using them
> over MS Office.

Yep.
I think his conclusion might well be right as well:-

"How fast is that really? Fast enough that, for the first time, I can see
ordinary users using Web-based applications instead of desktop-based
applications for their every day work. Microsoft Office look out".

This isn't really aimed at browsers, is it?
It's aimed at web apps.
On Javascript, he's talking 3x as fast as FF, 16x as fast as IE7.