Re: [News] Ubuntu Adds Proprietary Codecs (Microsoft Junk) to Commercial Offering

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 12:53:27 -0400, Linonut wrote:
>
> Given the choice of a FOSS CODEC pack and a proprietary one and assuming
> they both worked equally, I would go for the FoSS one every time.
> The problem is that is usually not the case.

I can't really judge on that, because I use no proprietary codecs, as
far as I know.

> I hate being locked in and I hate being on some sort of mandatory upgrade
> mill like VCR/DVD/Blueray etc.
>
> For a lot of these people I wonder how much of the venom directed at
> proprietary solutions is more of a hate of the concept vs the actual
> benefits to THEM of using FOSS solutions.

Well, sometimes you find that the proprietary vendor just doesn't quite
get the concept with Linux.  Awful installers, primitive make-files,
extreme bloatware.

I can appreciate that VMware wants a stable platform on which to run
their stuff, but do they really need to stick 190 Mb of version-specific
standard Linux libraries into /usr/lib/vmware?