Re: [News] Interview with Torvalds About Linux

After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> I thought maybe Chris knew about it.  A long time ago he did some Xlib
> programming.  I already emailed the XopenMotif group on this topic.  Also,
> from further digging, is that the Imake.rules files have changed some
> over the years.  I can see why they did things
> the way they did with xmkmf to generate a Makefile.  Microsoft is in its
> own, so they've easily short cut the process due to only having to support
> the Intel platform and their os vs. the many different platforms and
> variances to UNIX oses.  Which why you'll find the source more often than
> you'll find the binaries.

I haven't done much GUI programming, even on Windows, in the last few years.
All console stuff or servers.  I tinkered with GTK/Glade programming a
little bit on Linux.

I don't know how deeply Solaris supports GTK/Gnome or KDE, but that's the
level you probably want for a GUI, and you can then theme your GUI to look
like CDE if you want.

What I would do if I were you is find a project that looks like what you
want, on the platform you want, download the tarball, and use that project
as the starting point for your own project.

That's essentially how I learned GNU autoconf/automake tools.  Not a bad
way, even though you can find very different solutions to the same problems
in different projects, some solutions better than others.

Pick a project you like, and learn how it does things.

--
When you are about to die, a wombat is better than no company at all.
		-- Roger Zelazny, "Doorways in the Sand"