Re: [News] Interview with Torvalds About Linux

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
After takin' a swig o' grog, GreyCloud belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

I thought maybe Chris knew about it.  A long time ago he did some Xlib
programming.  I already emailed the XopenMotif group on this topic.  Also,
from further digging, is that the Imake.rules files have changed some
over the years.  I can see why they did things
the way they did with xmkmf to generate a Makefile.  Microsoft is in its
own, so they've easily short cut the process due to only having to support
the Intel platform and their os vs. the many different platforms and
variances to UNIX oses.  Which why you'll find the source more often than
you'll find the binaries.

I haven't done much GUI programming, even on Windows, in the last few years.
All console stuff or servers.  I tinkered with GTK/Glade programming a
little bit on Linux.

I don't know how deeply Solaris supports GTK/Gnome or KDE, but that's the
level you probably want for a GUI, and you can then theme your GUI to look
like CDE if you want.

Sun doesn't support KDE, but I've heard that some people managed to compile and install it. Right now, it is JavaDeskTop 3 that is married to Gnome. You can't compile any CDE/Motif apps under JavaDeskTop. I've already tried and just get a core dump.

What I would do if I were you is find a project that looks like what you
want, on the platform you want, download the tarball, and use that project
as the starting point for your own project.

Hey! Sounds like an excellent start. That way I can examine the Imake file and see what the differences are. Of course the initial project will have to compile and run.

That's essentially how I learned GNU autoconf/automake tools.  Not a bad
way, even though you can find very different solutions to the same problems
in different projects, some solutions better than others.

Pick a project you like, and learn how it does things.

Thnx much.  :-)

--
"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
William G. McAdoo.