Re: [News] KDE 4.2 Advances: 'Built-in' Database, KWin Effects

On 2009-02-21, Ezekiel <there@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> "JEDIDIAH" <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> On 2009-02-20, Ezekiel <somewhere@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> "7" <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

>>> Sounds like needless bloat to me. Desktop users now need a MySQL
>>> database
>>> running on their local machine just to run KDE.... WTF?
>>
>> ...it does seem like remarkable overkill. OTOH, mysql does have as a
>> redeeming quality the fact that it doesn't expose itself to the
>> outside world like sql server does.
>
> Since /you/ brought up SQL Server you do realize that just like MySQL, SQL
> Server can be configured to also not expose itself to the outside world.

   "can be configured" is meaningless.

   "How it is actually configured by default" is far more significant.

   Somone who shills for the moron's platform should understand this distinction.

> It does seem like overkill given that this is often mentioned - "Akonadi
> uses MySQL mainly as a cache, not as a data store."  Why use a full DB just
> to 'cache' data.
>

>> OTOH, it's not terribly bloated either.
>
> It's less of an issue for desktop users than for people who may want to run
> this on a laptop or netbook class machine.

    It's not an issue for them either. mysql was always built for speed.

--
     Apple: Because a large harddrive is for power users.
	                                                         / | \