Re: [News] What GNU/Linux Does Which Windows Cannot

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> 10 cool things you can do with Linux and not with windows
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | 1. Install a bleeding edge 3d desktop environment on affordable
> | hardware.
> |
> | I've seen compiz running on extremely (from my view) low end hardware.
> | With incredible results. I'm not saying this is something I would advice
> | you to do, because it does eat resources. But it is possible there's a
> | choice and if you like visual effects on the desktop, there's no match
> | for it. If you would like something like this on windows you 're going
> | to need bleeding edge hardware.
> `----
>
> http:/
www.handlewithlinux.com/10-cool-things-you-can-do-with-windows-and-not-with-linux

An easy way to do all this:

Install Ubuntu on a medium scale PC (compiz itself
appears to be installed by default in the default install),
then install compiz settings manager using Synaptic
which allows compiz to be fully 'exercised'.
And then do the following to get the 3D cube desktop
working...

 Go to General > Display Settings > Lighting and turned it off
 Enable Desktop Cube and then Desktop Cube > Transparent Cube and set the
 two opacity  settings to 30%
 then Desktop Cube > Skydome and check the skydome check mark
 Enable Rotate Cube
 Enable Enhanced Zoom Desktop
 Right click the virtual workspaces panel and increase the number
 of colums to 8.

And hey presto - 100% 3D translucent desktop with 8 screens!!!!!!!!!!

 [Some shortcuts for the 3D screen
  ctrl + alt + left or right arrow to spin cube
  ctrl + alt + down arrow and then left or right arrow for a ring switcher
  super + E for yet another switcher
  super + mouse wheel scroll to zoom in and out of the 3D desktop.
 ]

http://www.livecdlist.com
http://www.distrowatch.com