[News] Education Discriminates Against Open Source in Favour of Lock-in for Students

  • Subject: [News] Education Discriminates Against Open Source in Favour of Lock-in for Students
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:06:53 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

‘Head-to-head’ match between Google, Microsoft shows Google in lead

,----[ Quote ]
| After months of courting three potential e-mail service providers to replace
| the current Webmail system, members of the Student E-mail Initiative have
| chosen not to accept an offer from Zimbra, a subsidiary company of Yahoo!
|
| If the initiative signs with a new e-mail provider, the choice will be
| between Google's Apps for Education and Microsoft's Live at Edu, according to
| Stan North Martin, the director of Outreach, Communications and Consulting
| for the Office of Information Technology.
`----

http://technicianonline.com/features/head-to-head_match_between_google%252C_microsoft_shows_google_in_lead-1.1372726

What kind of educational institute 'sells' kids to companies like that
and 'offshores' E-mail?

They could install Zimbra locally.

Recent:

Yahoo! finally using Zimbra

,----[ Quote ]
| So, is this move with the calendar the first of many? If so, Yahoo! has been
| very quiet about it. Zimbra has been busy as a standalone Yahoo! business,
| continuing to build momentum with its enterprise email and collaboration
| product, replacing Microsoft Exchange at universities, governments, and
| enterprises. Still, I suspect Yahoo! intended for Zimbra to be more than just
| a successful-but-separate division. Hopefully this revised calendar is a sign
| of good (Zimbra-based) things to come at Yahoo!.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10064194-16.html?tag=mncol;title

Zimbra officially embraced by Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra, the open-source e-mail software that Yahoo acquired for $350 million
| last year, is officially coming to Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10009707-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Canonical to Offer Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop Through Ubuntu(R) Partner Repository

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra has announced that Canonical, sponsors of Ubuntu, the fastest growing
| Linux distribution, will give users direct access to Yahoo! Zimbra Desktop,
| which provides a centralized hub to manage multiple e-mail accounts and
| calendars online and offline, through the Ubuntu Partner Repository. Zimbra,
| a Yahoo! (Nasdaq:YHOO) company, is a leader in open source, next-generation
| messaging and collaboration software.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080807005288&newsLang=en
http://tinyurl.com/6s3met

Testdriving Zimbra Desktop Mail for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever since Yahoo acquired Zimbra, a lot of us were waiting for the next big
| thing in desktop emailing. Recently, Yahoo launched Zimbra desktop, an open
| source email client which aims to increase your productivity by integrating
| an email client, calendar, task list, contact manager and a briefcase, all in
| one slick and easy package.
| It's time to see how well it fares with my current favorite - Thunderbird.
`----

http://anojrs.blogspot.com/2008/07/testdriving-zimbra-desktop-mail-for.html

Zimbra Releases Version 3 Of Open Source Email Client, And It’s Awesome

,----[ Quote ]
| Zimbra Desktop, which is built on Mozilla Prism, is available for Windows,
| Mac and linux machines. It weighs in at 40 MB, about double the size of
| Thunderbird. The product promises the robust features of Outlook, which are
| lacking in Outlook Express and Thunderbird. Users can access Yahoo mail
| accounts, Zimbra accounts, or any Pop/IMAP supported email boxes. Zimbra
| Desktop also includes a calendar, contact list and other features.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/07/23/zimbra-jumps-to-the-desktop-with-open-source-client/
http://tinyurl.com/687mvw

Open-Xchange lures Zimbra users

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like Microsoft's proposed Yahoo acquisition is already attracting
| its share of buzzards: Open-Xchange, a prominent open source competitor to
| Microsoft Exchange, is looking to lure customers of Yahoo subsidiary Zimbra
| with an offer of steep discounts.
`----

http://www.techworld.com/opsys/news/index.cfm?newsID=11541&pagtype=samechan

Zimbra's new Desktop: Look ma, no browser!

,----[ Quote ]
| How did Zimbra do this? With Prism, which is a Mozilla project that basically
| lets applications borrow a tightly integrated, stripped-down version of the
| Firefox browser to run as standalone applications. This gives them all of the
| benefits of the browser (and the Web) without the browser artifacts. It's a
| match made in heaven.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871953-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Related:

Zimbra: a Hidden Facet of Yahoo!'s Value

,----[ Quote ]
| This means competition authorities will view Microsoft's potential take-over
| of Yahoo! in a different -- the appropriate -- light as an anti-competitive
| absorption of its chief e-mail competitor.
|
| Yahoo! will do what it takes to avoid acquisition by Microsoft. Roy is
| working on it.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2008/02/zimbra-a-hidden.html

Yahoo! to boost collaboration offerings with Zimbra

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14486/1054/