Re: [News] New NVIDIA Driver Released; Status of Open Source Driver

On 2009-02-12, Hadron <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> On 2009-02-12, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
>>>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> As long as you have a fall-back plan <grin>.
>>>
>>> Apt?:
>>
>>      Like I said, if openness and a field full of daisies were really
>> all that then I would have my "fall-back plan". Until that happens,
>> Nvidia is in a league all by itself. Their binary drivers are a sort
>> of necessary evil/nuissance.
>>
>>      Intel shows some genuine promise. I wouldn't hold my breath for
>>      ATI.
>
> Earth calling jeb, Earth calling Jeb : ATI committed to "Open". Surely
> this is good? .....

    You are the perfect example of "rhetoric versus results".

> But for the record : why the hell SHOULD they give their source away?

    In this day in age it's expected. If they sell you a piece of hardware
then they should provide all that is needed for getting it to work with
the system that it's going to be plugged into. Gone are the days when
you would expect to fork over an extra 50 buck for the device driver
for the dominant OS in the marketplace.

> The source reveals their APIs which in turn reveals a LOT about their HW
> design. I'm with NVidia all the way on this and they can count on my
> cash because they do provide EXCELLENT Linux support.

     Hmmm... can't program the chip without having enough fundemental
understanding of the product that you can effectively reverse engineer
it. That's a rather fascinating idea there.

--
	On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

        When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were        |||
        meant to be computationally convenient rather than just     / | \
	arbitrarily assigned.