Re: [News] New NVIDIA Driver Released; Status of Open Source Driver

JEDIDIAH <jedi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 2009-02-12, Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, JEDIDIAH belched out
>>   this bit o' wisdom:

>>> [deletia]

>>>    What's to gain? They already have the marketshare and the mindshare.
>>> They have better performing gear and more robust drivers. They even have
>>> full acceleration support in their Linux driver for h264 & VC-1 decode
>>> up to BD profiles.
>>>
>>>    Being open would be nice. Perhaps when Intel and ATI drivers have
>>> caught up all of this crowing about openness will seem less academic.
>>>
>>>    Nvidia has the sort of comitiment to desktop Linux that some people
>>> would like you to believe is only mythical. I'll gladly take advantage
>>> of that.
>>
>> As long as you have a fall-back plan <grin>.
>>
>> Apt?:
>
>      Like I said, if openness and a field full of daisies were really
> all that then I would have my "fall-back plan". Until that happens,
> Nvidia is in a league all by itself. Their binary drivers are a sort
> of necessary evil/nuissance.
>
>      Intel shows some genuine promise. I wouldn't hold my breath for
>      ATI.

Earth calling jeb, Earth calling Jeb : ATI committed to "Open". Surely
this is good? .....

But for the record : why the hell SHOULD they give their source away?

The source reveals their APIs which in turn reveals a LOT about their HW
design. I'm with NVidia all the way on this and they can count on my
cash because they do provide EXCELLENT Linux support.