Re: Inconsistency in "Linux GUI" debunked

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> ____/ ml2mst on Wednesday 04 February 2009 07:08 : \____
>

>> We've seen recently a couple of posters complaining about "the
>> inconsistency of the Linux GUI" again.
>
>> It has been explained to them that this is no issue within a particular
>> desktop environment like KDE or GNOME.
>
>> Even funnier is, that this isn't even the case if you use GNOME as your
>> default desktop environment and use KDE4 apps on it. Popular KDE4 apps
>> like Amarok 2 and Krusader come to mind.
>
>> KDE4 namely provides a style called *gtkstyle*
>
>> If you install this style, QT4 apps, will look as if they where native
>> GNOME apps.
>
>> Here is a short article on how it works:
>

> http://bit-rot.blogspot.com/2008/11/making-kde4qt4-apps-look-like-gnomegtk.html
>> http://tinyurl.com/cqwwjb
>
>> Of course these precious posters will shout "Liar" and "Prove it".
>
>> Well, here ya go...
>
>> My Gnome desktkop running the default filemanager Nautilus:
>
>> http://ml2mst.googlepages.com/ubuntu8_12.png
>
>> And running Krusader:
>
>> http://ml2mst.googlepages.com/gtkstyle.png
>
>> Tata!
>
>> Cheers
>
> KDE comes with more applications than Windows (maybe OS X too). This means that
> integration and consistency out of the box beat that of Microsoft Windows +
> necessary third-party software. Nobody edits text with Notepad.exe, right?

You bet it does.

I used KDE as my default desktop environment for over a decade. Since
KDE 3.2 I used the *baghira* (MacOS X-ish) as my default KDE theme.

Beside that I use Gthumb as my default bitmap viewer/editor for ages, so
I installed the "Mac4Linux" gtk theme.

Now since a couple of months I use Gnome as my default DE, but I still
prefer some KDE apps, like Amarok(2) and Krusader. Both have been
converted to QT4 recently on Ubuntu (8.10) and, as proved in my
screenshots, they look and act like native GTK apps, using the gtkstyle
theme for KDE4.

I have no idea if people actually use Notepad.exe. In my Windows age I
always preferred ED.EXE form the WordPerfect Works Suite (DOS Based) as
my text editor. I always find Notepad.exe somewhat ridiculous.

The trolls however never complain about the inconsistence of Windows
apps. They probably never used Nero Burning Suite or any anti virus
suite eh?

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin