Re: Besides Windows, other trouble spots at Microsoft

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Friday 23 January 2009 14:09 : \____

> On Jan 22, 6:20 pm, George Barca <georgebarca1...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 01:35:06 +0000, Roy Schestowitz
>>
>> <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >Have you noticed how Microsoft, along its talking points, blames "netbooks"
>> >for the slump? Never mention the "L" word...
>>
>> Standard PR talking points / tactics.
>> Never give the opposition any press, even if it's bad press.
>> This is especially true when your particular company is in
>> trouble.
>>
>> >Microsoft is dumping Windows for just $5 apiece just because it's
>> >called "netbook". :-S
>>
>> Is this Windows XP or Vista?
>> Surely XP has paid for itself long ago.
>> Vista, I'm not too certain about that.
>>
>> >They also chant "Linux killer" in reference to netbooks. They sure get
>> >the 'memo' from Microsoft. They know where the Beast bleeds. :-)
>>
>> The problem is complex. People want Windows because that is what
>> they are comfortable with. Windows however is not, IMHO, the best
>> choice for net books. It's just too bloated.
>> Linux is a better choice from what I can tell.
>>
>> >"We feel a huge threat from Linux"  -- Jim Allchin
>>
>> And rightfully so.
>> What Linux needs is a good PR firm to get the word out.
>>
>> >"I am Scared [of GNU/Linux]" -- Jim Allchin
>>
>> He should start worrying about Apple.
>>
>> >Replying to "who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?"
>> >said Ballmer: "Open...Linux. I don't want to say open source. Linux,
>> >certainly have to go with that."
>>
>> Currently it's probably Apple on the consumer side and Linux on
>> the server side
>
> I noticed that Ballmer more recently said his biggest worry was
> "Google, google, google, ...", but of course he probably thinks Linux
> when he thinks Google.  It's amazing how much angst Linux has caused
> at Microsoft, in spite of its small share of the desktop.  Microsoft
> has been in a reactive mode for ten years at least, and Linux seems to
> have been a bigger reason for that than Apple, in spite of Apple's
> greater inroads into the market.
>
> I don't see how any person or company can be creative when they are
> constantly reacting to outside forces.

Ballmer understands (he was probably told) that Linux is the enabler of
Microsoft's competitors, including IBM, Google, Red Hat and so on and so
forth.

IBM invests in Linux for the same reason that Intel does. They make the
platform a commodity to sell hardware and/or business software.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

The Intel-Dell-MS oligopoly/treo can be weakened by competition (Freedom)
Tasks: 140 total,   1 running, 139 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie