Re: Firefox use is 4x that of IE, GNU/Linux use is 4x Vista, 1/2 of all Windows OSes on my new website!!

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 17:00:33 +1100, Terry Porter
<linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
>>   this bit o' wisdom:
>>
>>> Mine are coming from my very popular EEEPC900 hardware mod, (which works
>>> with both GNU/Linux and Windows).
>>>
>>> Naturally the trolls will claim we have Linux sites and so our stats are
>>> skewed towards Linux.
>>>
>>> So That means that either:-
>>>
>>> 1) There are more Linux netbooks than Windows netbooks contrary to what
>>> the trolls claim because half the visitors are using Linux compared to
>>> Windows
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> 2) Linux is far more prevalent on the desktop than the Wintrolls claim
>>> because half the visitors are using Linux compared to Windows
>>>
>>> They can't have it both ways.
>>
>> They can have it any way, until you can factor out your site bias.
>>
>> Your site is geared to Linux users.
>
>Not really. It *only* has *two* articles so far:-
>1) External antenna connector on a EEEPC900
>http://wiki.portertech.org/doku.php?id=eeepc900-ext-antenna
>
>2) WiFi bridge link testing
>http://wiki.portertech.org/doku.php?id=testing-wifi-bridge
>
>Neither article is about Linux any more than it is about Windows.
>
>Have you actually seen them ?
>
>Even if my site *was* about Linux, 60% of the visitors are Windows users,
>what does that tell you ?
>

>> It may well be that /everyone/ who visits your site is a Linux user, but
>> some of them are browsing from work
>
>That's a lot of people not working as they should...
>
>> or are still more comfortable with
>> Windows.
>
>Even so, that only makes Windows *twice* as common as Linux according my
>stats.

That's a nice site you have there Terry. I would say your stats
are going to be skewed a little toward Linux due to the technical
nature of your site however firefox is on the rise and is taking
away Internet Explorer's share of the pie. I would suspect a
neutral site like Amazon or Google would be the ultimate tool to
accurately analyze this. At least as well as it can be measured.
The way I see it you are posting the numbers from your particular
site and there is nothing misleading about that.
George Barca
georgebarca1981@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx