[News] More Palm-Linux Convergence

ISV announces Palm Linux ports

,----[ Quote ]
| Brazilian independent software vendor (ISV) Handcase says it is porting about
| 100 of its PalmOS applications to the Linux-based WebOS platform set to debut
| in Palm's forthcoming Pre smartphone. Handcase is also translating some 323
| of its PalmOS apps from Portuguese to English, it says.
`----

http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS8528642223.html?kc=rss

Recent:

Like the Pre? Wait Until It's Actually Finished

,----[ Quote ]
| Palm is taking a page from Apple's iPhone strategy book when it comes to
| keeping things quiet regarding its newly-announced Pre smartphone and webOS
| mobile platform.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3797011

Palm request for app store advice opens floodgate

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Shebanow didn't imagine that asking for feedback about how Palm Inc.'s
| app store should work would open up a flood of input. He also didn't expect
| the move would change his job description. But now both have happened.
|
| On Jan. 8, Shebanow, who is working on a third-party application distribution
| system for Palm's new operating system, posted an item on his blog looking
| for input from developers on how that system should work. He threw out a few
| questions, such as: How should application updating and installation work?
| Should Palm offer payment processing or leave it to third parties? Should
| application trials be available? How should Palm handle featured
| applications?
|
| By Wednesday, he had removed the post, replacing it with one saying that its
| popularity had caught him and Palm by surprise. "My boss has asked me to hide
| the post while management decides what they want me to do about it," he
| wrote.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9126027&source=rss_topic122

StyleTap Considering Creating a Palm OS Emulator for webOS

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the more controversial features of Palm's new webOS is something it
| doesn't offer: a way to run Palm OS applications. However, StyleTap may
| change this, if it finds that making a Palm OS emulator for webOS to be
| doable.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=14798

Why Pre is the right move for Palm

,----[ Quote ]
| Foleo, a Linux-based Netbook that perhaps arrived ahead of its time. When it
| was introduced in mid-2007, reactions were mixed. It was one of the first
| devices from a reputable and established company to fill the gap between
| smartphones and laptops, but critics weren't receptive to its $500 price tag
| and lack of compatibility with third-party software.
|
| But Palm was also quietly tuning a version of Linux for its next-gen
| handsets. Last week at CES, Palm announced a new operating system, called Web
| OS, and the first device to run it, the Pre. It also announced an application
| store, called Pre Catalog. And that's when things got very interesting: the
| Pre blew everyone away.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10139984-1.html

Objects Of Desire #1 - Palm Pre smartphone

,----[ Quote ]
| There, I've confessed, and I'm feeling better already. And the current object
| of my unfathomable desire? The Palm Pre smartphone, unveiled last week at the
| Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Nevada.
`----

http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2009/01/objects-of-desire-1-palm-pre-smartphone.html

2009: Year of the Linux Handheld?

,----[ Quote ]
| A common inside joke on Slashdot is the "Year of the Linux Desktop", a
| revelation about each upcoming year being the mythical time when Linux will
| obtain wide-scale adoption on desktop PCs. Although the number of PCs running
| Linux has increased each year, a new emergent trend is that Linux is becoming
| a popular on more consumer handheld devices.
`----

http://linuxrevolution.blogspot.com/2009/01/2009-year-of-linux-handheld.html

Palm shows off 'Centro' smart phone

,----[ Quote ]