Re: moonlight not so easy to obtain/install

Sinister Midget wrote:

> On 2009-01-21, Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>> Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>>> I suspect you did not even try to install it, did you?
>>> Moonlight is installed as Firefox plugin and we test this on all sorts
>>> of Unix systems (Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and SUSE) and it works like
>>> this:
>>> 1. Click on download from www.go-mono.com/download (we auto-detect
>> Not Found
>> The requested URL /download was not found on this server.
>> Apache/2 Server at www.go-mono.com Port 80
> You weren't supposed to *try* it!

Always pays to check for validity :)

> But I _did_ find the download link. Despite my using a version of
> Ubuntu right now, it doesn't know what I have. But I can go to the
> "unsupported downloads" section, where I'm told how to pollute my
> sources.list with mono (which also happens to be the nickname for a
> disease; coincidence?) if they aren't already polluted.
> Which reminds me. Time to change distros again:
> http://www.mono-project.com/Other_Downloads
>    Ubuntu
>    Official Packages
>    Mono is available in all Ubuntu releases, and installed by default.
>    To develop software with Mono, install the mono-devel package on
>    Dapper (6.06), Gutsy (7.10) or Jaunty (9.04), by pasting the line
>    below into your browser address bar (or using synaptic):
> I don't think so. I choose to remain Microslop-free.

>>> your platform, so you do not need to do anything).
>>> 2. Click "Install" when you are prompted for install or cancel
>>> 3. Restart the browser.
>>> The experience is *identical* for all the systems.
>> And not available for Gentoo via the released packages.
>> gronk1 mnt # emerge -s moonlight
>> Searching...
>> [ Results for search key : moonlight ]
>> [ Applications found : 0 ]
> Why would you want it anyway?

I *don't*. I was only checking to see if it was available for Gentoo, but it

 If it was, I would have installed it to see if it installed easily as
claimed, then uninstalled it.

> It's not like there aren't other, safer
> methods to view content.

Absolutely, besides I don't trust Novel post their Microsoft deal.

indeed listen to.  Trolls are not among those people, as trolls, more or
          Kelsey Bjarnason, C.O.L.A. 2008