Re: Microsoft Chief on Linux: "I am Scared" (Comes vs MS - exhibit px07168)

Ezekiel wrote:
"Matt" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:C0Tcl.22089$1k1.698@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ezekiel wrote:

I don't expect it would take much to know more about OS than nearly all the senior execs at Microsoft.

That's why there's often people who manage "business" and other people who manage the technical aspects of a company. But it's ridiculous to believe for one second that there aren't some very, very smart technical people working at Microsoft.

Oh, I wouldn't dispute that. For instance I find now that Allchin has some very impressive technical accomplishments, also that he came from poverty, also that he didn't much want to work at MS but was convinced by Gates to join.

Another one was the Turbo Pascal guy, who joined MS and designed .NET or something.

I don't see that their occasional technical excellence justifies their habit of attacking standards.

The Turbo guy was a perfect fit because he already had a history of extending standards so as to create lock-in.