Re: [News] Glimpse at OpenOffice.org in Education

On 2009-06-19, Ezekiel <Zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> wispygalaxy wrote:

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> It's sad that corporate people are so lazy that they don't bother to
>>> research better software solutions.  They think that if you pay for
>>> software, it's better.
>>
>> They use it not because they pay for it but because "that's what we
>> always use".
>
>> Many moons ago Office was bundled free with Windows and so
>
> I'm calling bullshit on this claim that "MS Office used to bundled for free
> with Windows."
>

>> the corporate sector was sucked into using it.
>
> They used it because it was the first good word processor that ran on
> Windows. Prior to this the corporate sector got sucked into using

That is a blatant lie.

> WordPerfect which was the first good word processor for DOS. There's a good
> chance they would still be using WordPerfect today if it hadn't taken
> WordPerfect *years* to release a crappy buggy Windows version.

Word Perfect wasn't the only other competitor to msword.

>> And as businesses tend to
>> be VERY conservative about change that's what they use. Period.
>
> Corporations use what works. Spending a few dollars per year for a license
> is a negligible expense compared to what they spend on other things.

Corporations use what is more effectively sold to them.

If they end up with a legacy support situation then they use the legacy
system simply because they have no other choice. It's what they already
have and they have data tied up in the legacy system.

--
    It's not the size of the CPU, it's how you use it.               |||
								    / | \