Re: [News] Vista 7 Stinks Badly on Sub-notebooks, GNU/Linux to Capitalise

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
____/ Megabyte on Sunday 08 March 2009 21:33 : \____

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 08 March 2009 18:44 : \____

On 2009-03-08, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
____/ Megabyte on Sunday 08 March 2009 16:11 : \____

Terry, if Linpus Lite is so great why aren't you and everyone else
running it on your desktops?  Linpus Lite is just that, a "Lite"
simplified version of Linux for Netbooks.   In terms of Xandros, many of
the Linux users purchasing an Eee quickly dump it for their favorite
distribution.  Check out some of the Eee Forums on the web if you don't
believe me.  In addition, can you pick-up an Eee PC 1000HE with Xandros?
So the newest Eee model with the best battery life of all Netbooks on
the market isn't being sold with Xandros?  Dell seems to be the one OEM
that has done things right by using Ubuntu.  The fact that 33% of their
netbook sales are Ubuntu machines and return rates between XP and Ubuntu
models are the same speaks volumes.  As much as you can argue the merits
of Linpus Lite and Xandros, average consumers and some OEMs seem to see
it differently.
I've met a person (online) who insisted strongly against anything but the
ASUS distro. He got burned by paying $120 for XP (it was crap on the Eee
PC he said) and he didn't want anything but a simple distro with large
icons. He liked it simple.
I'll admit I wiped Xandros. But I just found recently that one can get
away from the launcher interface to a regular desktop. I also ran
across a HOWTO for getting rid of unionfs so it doesn't use so much
space on the drive. So I might try that when I finally get the SSD
(next week) that will require a reinstall anyway.

There were a thing or two that came with that particular distro that I
liked. If not for using up so much of the drive (to keep a second copy
of itself) and the interface (it might work if it was a bit more
tunable) I might not have started looking elsewhere.
It didn't cost ASUS anything to 'print' some default distro on the drive.
There are many free distros that suit different crowds. There are at least
10 of them that specifically target these devices.

Absolutely, choice is a good thing.  A disk image that would allow the
end user to pick between a simplified or regular front-end as well as
different distributions upon initial set-up of their Netbook would be
cool.

Linpus was originally intended to offer exactly that choice (two modes). Is it
not the case? Underneath it's just Fedora.

According to this review <http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/09/15/linpus-linux-lite-review/> it isn't quite that simple. Sounds like there are Acer specific changes. To get to the full desktop mode you must perform what is referred to as the "Advanced Mode Hack". Terry outlined the steps a while back and they were not that difficult but apparently they seem to be considered a hack.