Re: [News] PC-BSD 7.1 Looks and Works Better Than Windows Vista?

Chris Ahlstrom <ahlstromc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> After takin' a swig o' grog, Terry Porter belched out
>   this bit o' wisdom:
>
>> Hadron wrote:

>>> That would explain a lot.
>>>
>>> From the OpenWRT web page:
>>>
>>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/03/23/2257252
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>
>>> Terry "Telnet" Porter strikes again ....
>>
>> Thanks for the laugh dimwit.
>
> I'm having trouble distinguishing Hadron from DFS on this one.  Why?
>
> Because, like DFS, Hadron only posts the half of the story that fits his
> anti-OSS agenda.  He left this out:
>

>    Just a little clarification regarding the article [1] recently posted on
>    /. about a stealth router-based botnet [2]:
>
>    - OpenWrt blocks any open port from the WAN side by default ;
>    - OpenWrt does not provide a "default" password ;
>    - Any device with weak passwords that can run the binary is vulnerable ;
>    - As far as we know, there is no core vulnerability in OpenWrt requiring
>       a security fix.
>
>    If you opened SSH on the WAN port, ensure you use a strong password for
>    your "root" account, or disable password authentication and rely on key
>    based authentication.
>
>    Yours truly,
>    --
>    The OpenWrt team
>
> Oh dear!  Hadron told a "porkie".  Of course, if I followed Tim
> Smith's advice, I'd let it lay, so Hadron's silly little FUD would go
> uncontested.

I've been using wrt54gls with linux for a couple of years.  They're
great little boxes:

root@wrt54gl1:~# uptime
 07:02:38 up 4 days,  7:02, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |