Re: [News] PC-BSD 7.1 Looks and Works Better Than Windows Vista?

On Fri, 15 May 2009 00:38:35 +0200, General Patron wrote:

> Tony(UK) said the following on 2009-05-14 07:29:

>>> It's not linux.
>>
>> ...and it is very hard work,
>
> No, it took me 10 minutes to install last year on my desktop.
>
>> and hard freezes regularly (just like Linux is supposed to do but don't
>> for me)
>
> Then you haven't done a correct install, or you have crappy hardware.
>
>> and doesn't natively support my
>> Samsung ML 2010 printer
>
> Well no OS supports any printer natively.
>
>> It claims to be rock-solid
>
> And it is, if you don't have crappy hardware which it sounds that you
> have. We have a few fbsd 4.11 machines that has been up since 2005.

Oh, I have crappy hardware, do I? Sorry about that, General (Ignorance).
However, I don't recall anyone called Patron around my house looking at
my two (brand new) machines with 2 gigs of ram. This, my main PC, is
*exactly* the same spec, and both run Linux flawlessly, and both bought
from the same supplier at the same time.

So, here in COLA now, we have Windows trolls, BSD trolls, anyone else
care to stuff their snouts in?

Oh, if I plug my Samsung ML2010 into this computer running Linux
(*Buntu), an icon appears and a tooltip lets me know it is ready for
printing. That's 'native' enough for me thanks.

I haven't done a 'correct install'? WTF? PC-BSD is GUI driven, and checks
the integrity of the image before installation starts, and I chose to use
the entire disk - Oh, sorry, I forgot - my SATA 2 500Gig BRAND NEW hard
drive is crappy. That must be the reason.
No, it installed Kubuntu straight after testing without any problem
*whatsoever*

As for your machines being up since 2005? Good for you.
PC-BSD is amongst the worst operation system I have tested for a while -
so bad, I won't even publish my review.

Tony(UK)